Friday, June 24, 2011

Off to CHCH again

Carolyn and Jim head down to CHCH today in the truck. They are picking up dogs and puppies on Saturday morning and will be coming straight back, arriving Sunday morning. I am staying here to run the sanctuary and organise everything at this end. I will be checking out new homes and foster homes so the dogs/pups can go straight into their new families.    

In other news, one of our board members, Sam and her husband Wayne stayed up all night on Peka Peka beach guarding a young wayward Emperor Penguin from idiots. They even got together with the community to set up a roster so this penguin can holiday here safely, without getting chased with sticks!!! Hopefully he is only here for a short holiday before he returns to Antarctica.

Back at HUHA, we have planted more flaxes along the front boundary. I had to replant the ones I put in last week because either they were trampled or I didn’t do a very good job planting them the first time.... They are all looking good and planted correctly now. We still need more flaxes for the front boundary, I have only done one side (the shorter side) of the driveway.  

We have moved our rehabilitating seagull to the new aviary. He was living next door to Griz (who by the way is a very nice bunny with a lot of character). The seagull was there next to Griz to rest, now he is ready to practice flying in the bigger aviary. I have improved my bird perches in the new aviary, they now have more levels.

The Ute is getting repairs done, so we have been using the quad bike for feeding this past week. It is much slower but fun hooning up and down the driveway with Munchkin following behind. Yesterday I had Wilmar the pig and Weeone the donkey (who sneaked out when I had the gate open for just 2 seconds) following behind me, it was really nice. Despite all the fun hooning, I am looking forward to getting the Ute back, it makes feeding out much easier.  

We still have rescued cats, donkeys, cows and pigs looking for new homes. Remember to keep them in mind. They would make a lovely addition to your home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment